This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Monday, October 17, 2005

blah blah Work blah blah blah

So we had a meeting this morning to 'clear the air' and 'start off our new working partnership with a bang'. Yeah right. The meeting was pointless. Only one of my company's (Company B) presidents (M) showed up and he spent most of his time talking in circles, eyeing the clock and then talking in slower circles. Confirmed that we will not get paid for snow days, terrorism scares, random days off that Prez. Bush gives federal employees (that close our building) unless we use our sick time or vacation time.

I asked "If we have to use our sick/vacation time for federal closings does that mean we'll no longer get paid for the federal holidays?" His reply was "Oh no, you're benefits haven't changed. You'll get paid for those days." then J (my boss) said "Those are days where Company B is putting money out but has none coming in." To which I replied, "Yes, I know. That's why I asked." When I was interviewed one of the much touted benefits was getting paid for snow days. Yet, somehow, our benefits haven't changed? Explain that one to me.

Company C's bigwigs didn't show, just sent T who is Company C's project manager on site. The one who we'll be training the next couple of weeks. Basically he has no power/influence over what Company C does. Only reason he showed was because we'll be working with him. Suposedly start training him tomorrow. We shall see...

Someone asked "What's the advantage for Company C to keep Company B as a subcontractor?" T replied that we all are "subject matter experts" and our "knowledge is too valuable to let go". Again, I say, Yeah Right!

Someone else asked the question that was really asked before but T chose to ignore; "Why is it more advantageous for Company C to work through Company B as opposed to hiring us all directly?" T passed the question onto M.

M informed us that it's part of the contract that they signed that Company C cannot recruit Company B employees to work for Company C. Apparently a lot of people gave him the same smirky look I'm sure I had on my face cause M then added "We have a contract where we are the contractor and Company C is the subcontractor and that same clause is in there. We cannot recruit Company C employees to work with us."

I know I wasn't the only one thinking 'What Company C employee would WANT to work for my company? Company C's benefits are better, they have cross training programs and are more firmly entrenched with the government than my company is - i.e. more job security.'

There was much posturing on M's part about the 'bonus' that Company B is putting together. Basically if we don't take our sick/vacation time we could be eligible for a bonus. Amount and qualifications still to be determined. Which is the same thing he said a couple weeks ago. Coworkers and I figure it's all just hot air to keep us from jumping ship. Especially when M goes from telling us we have to use our sick/vacation time to get paid for snow days to telling us not use our sick/vacation time unless "we really need it".

Whatever.


Note: I inadvertently saved this as a draft and didn't publish it last night, when I wrote it. So for those of you who think I'm absentminded, you may have a point ;)
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?