This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Friday, December 02, 2005

Howland Island

Howland Island is a U.S. territory that is part of the National Wildlife Refuge system. It's three times the size of The National Mall in DC. It is physically located in the North Pacific Ocean, approximately half way between Hawaii and Australia (see bottom map). I found the info on the special Howland Island section of the CIA web page. What is Not mentioned on their webpage though is that Howland Island time is the official stop time for NaNoWriMo. I wonder how they could miss such an important tidbit of info???

One of the more interesting tidbits about it is that an "airstrip [was] constructed in 1937 for scheduled refueling stop on the round-the-world flight of Amelia EARHART and Fred NOONAN - they left Lae, New Guinea, for Howland Island, but were never seen again; the airstrip is no longer serviceable (2004 est.)" Pretty spiffy info, eh? The lighthouse was partially destroyed during WWII but they rebuilt it and named it for Ameila Earhart - Earhart Light.


I copied the location map from the Geography IQ web site. It's a map of Oceania. I swear I tried to make it bigger! I couldn't finangle the Blogger photo to enlarge it though. Ah well. Howland Island is circled in blue. Yeah yeah yeah so you can barely see the blue. I've already spent an hour on this thing, what more do you want?? ;) All kinds of formatting issues when you have more than photo. I mean, I gotta make it look pretty, right? Granted it looks good for my Mozilla screen size, no clue how it looks through your screen.

Oooh I just remembered. You can click on the photo and it gets bigger! So clickie clickie and see a bigger map of Oceania and the Earhart Light.

I finished this baby at 7.45 am but seem to have lost the ability to adjust my publish time. Hmmm.
Comments:
Well, you learn something new everyday. I've never, ever heard of this place before. Now I'll probably never forget it. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?