This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Girlyman Revisited. Again.

Last night I saw Girlyman perform. It's my second time seeing them. Thankfully I still think they're amazing. The fact that I was in the minority and by myself, notwithstanding. By minority I mean, not gay. Girlyman has quite the lesbian following.

Actually, it's not surprising that I enjoyed myself immensely. The first time I saw them (in mid Nov. when they opened for Dar Williams) I bought both their albums. So I knew what to expect. Despite all three of them having a cold and the first couple of songs being shakey - harmony and sound volume wise - it was a great show. Good audience.

I've mainly only listened to their newer album, Little Star. Last night has inspired me to listen to their first album, Remember Who I Am some more. They did mostly songs from Little Star, interspersed with older songs and some new ones. I adore the song St. Peter's Bones which they performed back in Nov. and I wished then, as I do now, that it was on one of their albums. Hopefully they'll be able to get in a studio to record a new album soon!

Highlight for me was when they were being silly and joking around with us. That's what I love about folk groups, they interact much more with their audiences (U2 is the exception to this, not the rule when it comes to rock bands). Maybe it's because their audiences are smaller (maybe a couple hundred vs. several thousand). Whatever the reason, I like it. Keep it up folk groups!!

Girlyman was touring in Vermont last year and saw a sign for Moose crossing. Ty, the driver (at that time), said she'd like to see a moose but not in the road. Which inspired a song about a moose. It was highly entertaining and doubtful to ever make it to a record. One of those random songs that people make up about random things all the time. Only, in their case, they added music and sang in key. Good Times.

Then there was their song in tribute to the Holland Tunnel. Although it can be sung in tribute to any road with writing on the ground. Stay In Lane.. but you read it Lane In Stay because the words aren't spaced out far enough apart. Their tribute:

Thing wild
Sing heart my make you
Groovy everything make you
Thing wild

You love I think I, thing wild
Sure for wanna know I but
Tight me hold, on come
You love I

Thing wild
Sing heart my make you
Groovy everything make you
Thing wild


Forgot to mention that Micah Dalton opened for Girlyman. He's got a good voice and his music (accousitic guitar) was great. Tho he tried too hard to impress us. Lots of extra virbrato and random squinty eyed, big cheesy smiling grimaces going on. I found if I didn't look directly at him while he performed, I liked it a lot better. As it was, I was rather antsy for him to end so that Girlyman could begin. His website is pretty nifty tho (click on his name above) but have your volume down or your headset on as music starts once you click into the site. Hmm maybe it's just for broadband/high speed...
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?