This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Imbolc/Candelmas/Groundhog's Day

This season belongs to Brigid, the Celtic goddess who in later times became revered as a Christian saint. Originally, her festival on February 1 was known as Imbolc or Oimelc, two names which refer to the lactation of the ewes, the flow of milk that heralds the return of the life-giving forces of spring. Later, the Catholic Church replaced this festival with Candlemas Day on February 2, which is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and features candlelight processions. The powerful figure of Brigid the Light-Bringer overlights both pagan and Christian celebrations.

The above snippet I copied from Celtic Spirit's web page. It was written in 1999 by Mara Freeman. For more information on Imbolc and Candlemas, please visit the Imbolc section on the Celtic Spirit site.

I was going to give yall a link to the Punxsutawney Phil web page but it is BEYOND lame and stupid, so I refuse. Google it if you must, just don't bother with the FAQ page. However, the Groundhog page of the North of Boston Library Exchange (NOBLE) is not bad. Not bad at all. A fairly accurate history of how the holiday came to be.
Comments:
Your! Alive!!! Michelle and I have been worried b/c we haven't heard from you in a bit.

We tried to call you but the voicemail message sounded like a boy :P

Miss you! Love you lots!
 
Err yeah, I'm alive. As you can see by my nearly Daily blog entries.

Don't do much online from home and have been having IM issues at work.

My voicemail has been the same for nearly a year now. It's The Edge.
 
Good to hear you are doing well.

I think they last time i heard your voicemail it was just the you've reached the mailbox of ___ recording. I guess I'm just lucky enough to catch you usually :D
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?