This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Wintry Wonderland

Finally have some snow here in the Greater DC Metropolis! For awhile there last night I had lost hope. By midnight there was just a dusting and the previous forecasts indicated that we should've had several inches by that time. I got up this morning (just after 7:00) and ws pleasantly surprised. There's about five inches on my frontsteps. Okay there used to be about five inches. The maintenance guys just came around and cleared it all off.

Although, supposedly, there's ten to twelve inches of snow here. Maybe out in more open areas there's that much snow. Where I was snapping pictures is fairly sheltered. Nearly three sides are blocked so any wind blowing around is deflected.

I tried to get some pictures of the squirrels playing. I know some of them were foraging for nuts under the snow but I swear some of them were just frolicking about in typical squirrel fashion. I have pictures on my two non-digital cameras. Maybe some squirrels came through. I had one or two on my digital but you couldn't see the squirrels clearly. Just a darker spot where their backs were as their heads were below the snow line. I think they were digging for food, if the puffs of snow flying around them were any indication. Officially, we're pretty much done with the snow, at most we'll get another inch of accumulation.

Apparently there are several thousand people without power. I don't know why. It wasn't an ice storm. However, there was a problem on one of the Green metro line this morning. A de-icing train hit a tree that was on the tracks (tree was 25 inches in diameter). So perhaps more trees fell in the area? My guess would be that some idiot was driving too fast, lost control and hit a power pole. Or maybe the idiot(s) hit a tree and the tree felled the power lines.

Anyway, I think it's time to go frolick some outside. Or maybe drink a nice steamy cup of coffee and watch the squirrels frolick outside. Hmmmm..... sounds like a plan.
Comments:
The pictures of snow in and ice in the trees are gorgeous. Thanks for posting them.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?