This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Smokey Me?

There's, apparently, a small fire in my apartment building. Or at least, Was a small fire in my building. Someone below me. There's a laundry room and three apartments down there. I think it's a kitchen fire because that's what the smoke smelled like at first. That stinky you burnt dinner smoke. Heard the guy who comes before the fire trucks knocking on my neighbor's door asking about smoke coming out of their cabinets (they're directly across the hall from me). Then three big ol' fire trucks show up. I thought Uh oh. Hope they don't wanna come in here because my place is a mess! Yeah, I know, probably not what I should've thought. But there you have it. My squirrelly mind at work.

I wasn't too worried because I couldn't smell anything when they first got there and they didn't bang on my door and tell me to leave. Then I looked out the window and saw the trucks and all the firemen traipsing to my entryway door, hose trailing out behind them. Not a good sign I thought. Then I started grabbing clothes from my living room floor and throwing them into my bedroom. Yes, when I come home I tend to strip off the socks and flannel shirt and drop it on the floor (I never claimed to be a neat person!) and it stays there until I do laundry.

The firemen still hadn't knocked on my door but I could smell smoke now. So I packed up my laptop, mp3 player and digital camera and headed off to the library. If I had been seriously worried about fire damage, I'd have grabbed some photos, my shadowbox (the one my dad made for the sign that I got Edge to autograph), and my guitar. Mostly I'm concerned with smoke damage. They were setting up a big ol' fan outside the door to the entryway and rolling up their hoses when I left. So the fire was out (I hope!).

I wonder when it'll be 'safe' to go home. Since they never told me I had to leave. It was just stinky and noisy (the fan was very loud when they cranked it on as I walked by). Think happy no damage (smoke, water, fire or otherwise) and that the fire really was out before they turned that fan on thoughts for me.
Comments:
All clear. Still smells like smoke in the entryway and in my apt. but nothing too bad. I figure if I open my windows and run a fan or two for awhile, it'll be all good.

Thankfully nobody was hurt (as far as I know) and no major damage (again, as far as I know).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?