This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Discovery Launch

Like many Americans I am thrilled by the space program and avidly watch the launch of each Shuttle mission. I was disappointed on Saturday and then again on Sunday when the Discovery launch was postponed due to bad weather. But hearing that the launch was rescheduled for July 4th gave me little patriotic shivers of joy - despite the current administration.

So there I sat watching CNN and waiting for lift off. Intermittently shouting at the asinine commentator to "SHUT UP YOU BAFFOON!!" he was such an idiot. Hello! You had mission control on the screen and they were talking. Let them talk! Don't try and explain every little detail just because you think you should. Or you like the sound of your voice. I figure he kept yapping because he had a larger viewership than usual on a Tuesday afternoon in summer. What a dork. At least he shut up and didn't translate what 10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1 meant.
Comments:
That is why I switched from CNN to CSPAN for the last 9 minutes of the launch count-down. It was the NASA-TV feed (which is what CNN was showing on the right-hand side of the tv).

BTW, thanks for the reminder.
 
Thank you! I'm glad I wasnt the only one yelling at CNN ... they were tickin' me off with their babble!! I was tempted to just mute them, but I wanted to hear SOME real news. I wish I still got the 'NASA' channel. d:(
 
Thanks t for telling me that CSpan was also airing it. Sheesh.

and Elims, it's kinda funny that we were both thinking the same thing and on IM at the same time, yet never said a word to each other about it.
 
It was on CSPAN for Saturday's attempt , so I figured I would try on the 4th. I didn't think that you wouldn't have thought the same thing.
 
Yeah, kinda trippy ... but there was just minor chattage going on during the launch, between us... 'pretty shuttle', 'wanna see a launch live someday' kinda stuff. I know I had a headache and was counting down til naptime during/after the launch... *grin*

I'll follow T's advice and look for CSPAN next time. I'm used to CNN, have got that channel number memorized.
 
Well since CSPAN hadn't shown any coverage of the countdown to launch on Sunday, didn't even have a scroll on the bottom about it, I figured it was a one shot deal. Shuttle didn't launch on Saturday, so they weren't covering it because they didn't have any allotted time.

Whereas on CNN they just babble the same news over and over until they get "breaking news" to babble about. In the future I'll rememeber to check CSPAN and CNN.

Ah yes, E. Naps are good. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?