This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Storm Pictures

We had an Amazing storm Sunday night! Power was out for 16-17 hours or so (for me, anyway). Lots of flashing lightning, booming thunder and down bursts of rain. What really did the damage was the straight line winds. As you may know, we got something like 18 inches of rain in four or five days last week. The ground is still completely saturated. Then when the rains came through with this storm on Sunday evening, areas starting flooding. Yet again.

As you can see, the area out front of my apartment is a touch damp. This area doesn't typically have standing water. There is an area, just to the left of the picture, that often puddles up so I didn't feel the need to photograph that. I was more interested in photos of things that weren't common occurrences. The water was just running over the ground like it was pavement. And the areas where the water was just standing, the water just got deeper and deeper.


After the driving rains (shown rather well, if I do say so myself, in the first picture) the winds came in and trees started toppling.

Just getting to the library I had to drive around one and a half trees that had toppled over into the street. There were trees down everywhere. On top of cars, power lines, homes, signs, and blocking parking lots. There were at least three or four down in one condo parking lot alone. Unfortunately they were brand new condos and the trees fell on construction equipment.

Two trees split around my apartment building alone. I didn't get any photos of the trees in the road or down on the sides of the road as I was driving and felt I should concentrate on missing the debris instead of photographing it. I know, I know. What kind of photographer am I??

I wish I had been able to snag a photo of the trees dangling down the side of an overpass. I have no idea what was holding them up there. Maybe roots caught on the fence. I may get inspired and hike up there to snap some photos. Although I currently give the odds of that happening as slim to none :)
Comments:
That's too cool, and it wasnt even a hurricane! Glad you're safe and had some fun weather!!
 
Yeah, when I was taking the trash out and getting soaked to the bone (through my gortex jacket, mind you) I was comparing the storm to hurricanes I've been through. This baby should've had a name!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?