This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Future Plans

Some of you will find this morbid and I'm sorry for that. I think it's pretty darn cool myself. There's a company working to provide artificial reefs. They have an environmentally friendly cement mixture that they use to form reef balls. They acquire proper permits and then place the reef balls on the ocean floor. Their goal is to repair and form coral reefs that have been destroyed by man's activities.

For the last several years they've also been adding in the cremated remains of people and pets. You have the ashes sent to them and they add them into their cement mixture. They're called Eternal Reefs and I think they're amazing. Some of you know that I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered on the ocean. I've now modified that desire. I want my ashes, along with Gallagher's, to be made into a reef ball.

Each ball has a bronze plaque in it and you're given the GPS coordinates. This way remaining friends and family can have a physical place to go visit. Scuba diving in the ocean is far better than walking through a cemetary, in my mind. Plus it's providing a habit for all manner of sea life. The reef balls will last 300 years or so but even if they disintegrate before that, so what? It would just mean that my ashes were scattered at sea.
Comments:
Sort of makes my desire to have my ashes shot out of a cannon seem insignificant by comparison...
 
You must've published this early, b/c I saw it yesterday and now I'm disappointed that I have to wait till tomorrow to see what "Your Squirelliness" is up to.
 
Cannon fodder. Love it!

I inadvertently published it yesterday. Meant to save it as a draft but hadn't had coffee so clicked publish. I had originally planned to publish this one on Monday. But then I got lazy. And I didn't realize I had published this and saved Edge's Bday wishes as a draft until mid-morning. Then I rectified the error.

Tuesday had always been earmarked for The Edge. It was August 8, after all.

Her Squirelliness.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?