This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Environmental & Social Justice

I feel like I'm flashing back to my college protest days with this entry. First half is environmental, second half is social. Justice for all.

I'm not a fan of Oprah. What can I say? Most times when I see her she gets on my nerves. Don't get me wrong I admire all the good she's done. The awareness she has raised. The causes she has championed. There's just something about her on TV that comes across as perky snooty condescending. Like Katie Couric. Well no, I can't even say I like Katie, but I digress.

I was flipping channels yesterday afternoon and for some reason the thought I wonder who's on Oprah today? came to mind. After getting over my initial shock, I flipped over and low and behold she was doing a show on Global Warming with Al Gore called Global Warming 101. Guess my subconscious knew something that the rest of my brain had forgotten. I only saw the last 20 minutes of the show, 10-13 minutes of which was commercials (hmm why she bugs me is coming clearer and clearer). I sincerely hope the Legions of Oprahphites will take steps to Reduce their carbon footprint. Additionally All proceeds (book & DVD) from An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore are going to a non-partisan group

Some websites mentioned during the show were:
- Tree Hugger - check out their Green Gift Guide
- PAPoRGANICS a company devoted to sustainable stationary & gift wrap - check out their holiday collection
- Earth 911
- Al Gore - there's a nationwide initiative to have or attend a house party on December 16th to view An Inconvenient Truth to raise Global Warming awareness.

Also point your browser over to c's blog, Scatter O' Light. There's a great entry from yesterday afternoon about the group Arcade Fire donating a song for the (RED) Campaign. Admittedly I only first heard of AF because of U2. But every band I've come across because of U2 has not inspired me to go buy their album(s), Arcade Fire did. They're unique. I can't even tell you who they remind me of as nothing that I know comes even close. So Kudos to Arcade Fire for their good deeds! For a taste of their music, click here.

The band The Killers have also donated a song to (RED) called A Great Big Sled which you can buy via itunes.
Comments:
life just good
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?