This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Canes. Caps. Saturday.

I'm surprised that a couple of you didn't give me grief for not posting about the Canes Capitals game on Saturday. Although I'd rather focus on Friday's game between them. Shocking, I'm sure.

I met up with some friends & their friends for the game at the Verizon Center. After horrendous delays on the yellow line (waited 30 minutes for it to show, then another 10 after I got on the train), which was after it took me 20 minutes to go about 2 miles to get To a metro station, I get to the arena at 7.00 exactly. Our seats were up high so we missed the puck drop entirely. As it turns out, I could've been even later & not have missed much that I wanted to see...

You won't get any play-by-play from me on the game. Suffice it to say the Canes lost Saturday, 7-3 (but they won Friday 6-2!!!). Nifty thing that they did was at the end of the game. All the players that scored a goal had their name announced & they came out & skated a bit & then went back in the tunnel so the next person could do their spin. Good way to honor the players & to let them relive the thrill of scoring.

One guy had his first ever NHL goal. I don't remember his name & I currently feel no motivation to look it up as he isn't a Cane. Last time I was at a hockey game (something like 2 years ago), they didn't do the bows for the goal scorers. I think it's a great idea & I hope all the clubs are doing that.

Lesson learned in all this? Don't watch the Canes play the Caps from the 400's at Verizon Center wearing my (previously lucky) maroon t-shirt. Perhaps my 2004 NHL draft t-shirt that AO signed. Hmm....

Labels: , , , ,

Comments:
I figured you were in enough misery that I decided to let it slide this time. I mean if it was close like 1 goal then I probably would've.

However, since you brought it up...
 
I hope you're not talking about the 3 stars of the game...and that you didn't know what that was all about.
 
Gee thanks, t. You're so kind.

b - huh? 3 stars? You talking about Justin Williams, Erik Cole & David Tanabe? I know they scored the goals for the Canes. That I paid attention too :)

If you're talking about something else, please decipher the code in which you are speaking. Thanks.

g.

(stupid freaking blogger won't let me post a comment on my own blog when i'm logged in. WTF???????)
 
Good lord. When did you start watching hockey again? Noob. :) Does this mean that you're one of "those" people scurrying for the exits when the clock hits 0:00?

Anywho, different venues have different methods of appointing who the 3 stars are that particular night. I can assure you that it's not necessarily "all the players who scored a goal," though...

This is quoted from CBC Sports:

THREE STARS
When Imperial Oil joined Hockey Night in Canada as its principal sponsor in 1936-37, one of the traditions it established on the program was the post-game ritual of choosing the three stars of the game.

After the featured game ended, the three stars would be announced and each player would skate out onto the ice separately to receive applause -- or boos, depending on where the game was played.

Though the custom initially started as a way for Imperial to promote its "Three Star" brand of gasoline, it was also a way for the NHL to get recognition for its best ambassadors, players like Maurice "The Rocket" Richard of the Canadiens and Johnny Bower of the Maple Leafs.

When Imperial Oil left HNIC as a sponsor in 1976, the tradition of choosing the three stars remained.

Choosing the three stars of the game is not exclusive to HNIC, however. Just about every level of hockey has adopted the format as a way to recognize the best players on the ice in games and tournaments.

One famous "Three Star" selection was on March 23, 1944, when Maurice Richard named the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 stars after scoring all five goals in the Canadiens 5-1 playoff win over the Maple Leafs.
 
Uhh no. Am usually one of the last people to leave the arena & have never heard/noticed the 3 stars before. Perhaps the Canes didn't do it on the nights I went? I would have noticed as most games I'm in the lower level & if people had started skating out, I'd have seen it.

Mostly I see games on tv & they don't show the 3 stars tribute there. Mr Superiority Hockey Complex Leo Guy. ;)

But seriously, thanks for the info
 
Aha! It worked! I published a comment as myself! Wooohooo! ;)

yeah, so the server is down at work - for the last 2.5 or 3 hours. I gotta find my jollies some how or another. The thrill I got from circumventing the login screens so I could get on the internet is starting to wane.
 
They don't typically stick around long enough give coverage to the 3 stars on TV. They're awarded after every game in the Igloo. I've been under the impression that it was done pretty much everywhere, but maybe I need to get out more.

Or, maybe those Whaler-stealing hillbillies in the Carolinas don't know about hockey tradition. ;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?