This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

NHL All Star Game

The game was fun to watch although, I can't believe I'm going to say this, I was sick and tired of hearing Elevation snippets long before the game was over. Whenever the West scored, the PA system played The Edge's riff's & Bono's Ohh Ohh's. After hearing it 12 times, you can imagine why I was a little tired of it. Tho only because I was actually cheering for the East. I chose to ignore who was "coaching" the East & focus on the players.

Justin Williams & Eric Staal both scored points. Way to go Canes!! What was up with Sid? He didn't seem to be in top form. Perhaps nerves got the better of him? He didn't seem to want to shoot the puck, just pass it to someone else and was hesitant in his skating. Same with Ovechkin, although he did manage to score.

Not that I can fault them. I can't imagine what that must be like. Playing with these amazing players (I can't say the best of the best because Rod & Cam weren't there), in front of a crowd that's cheering for both sides (altho noticeably more for the West) and with different rules (ie no hitting). I'm hopeful that next year they'll shine like they do in regular games.

Unrelatedly, Mousey is MIA.

Labels:

Comments:
Just to clarify and expand on some of your hockey thoughts...

The rules are the same. The no-hitting is just sort of a...gentlemens' agreement in the All-Star game. Back in the day, there was hitting, and even some fighting, but not so much anymore. It's a kind of frowned upon, and you don't want your star players getting injured in a glorified exhibition game when you're just getting geared up to make a run for the playoffs. So, on the rare ocassions there are a few checks thrown, it's pretty half-hearted.

As far as Crosby & Ovechkin, the kid's 19. AO's 20. That's a pretty high-pressure situation for a teenager/near-teenager, even world-class talents like the two of them. Mark Messier and Ed Olcyzk were both quoted saying stuff along the lines of "Sid has a lot of respect for the game, and the history of it, and the veterans" and more than likely had some butterflies. So, a bit of nervousness, a bit of being star-struck, a bit of not wanting to try to steal the limelight, and a little bit of reverting to his natural playmaker personality. He did a bit of that when he was (briefly) playing with Lemieux & Palffy; almost always deferred to the pass, trying to make/force the pretty play, even when taking the shot himself is sometimes/often a better option. S'ok; he'll be back for 18-20 more All Star Games, and I'm sure we'll have plenty of opportunities to watch him accept the MVP.

Best of the best would include...Cam Ward? Come on now, let's not start talking crazy. Give the kid a few years before we start that sort of stuff. I'd include Brind'Amour, who genuinely qualifies, but it might be a touch early to anoint Cam Ward as one of the Best Players. Remember when you were threatened with statistics? Here's some Cam Ward's: 13th in wins (20), 30th in GAA (2.82), somewhere in the neighborhood of 36th in Save% (.901). I might be convinced to argue whether he should've been in Dallas at all this week... ;)

Now, Marty Brodeur...I'm listening. There's an All-Star/Hall of Fame goalie. (And take note, I'm not introducing Marc-André Fleury into the conversation. 2 or 3 years from now...maybe)

And don't make me reveal why *I* was sick and tired of hearing U2 snippets last night...

:)


Sheesh. I keep typing comments this long, I might as well start my own blog...
 
Oh Please. The only reason you knew it was U2 before you read my blog was because of a text someone sent you. Frankly I hope every time you heard it, you were cursing my name - in the "I'm trying to watch hockey & g keeps popping in my head to distract me" kind of way ;)

And yes I know it's not a Rule Rule to not hit, just an unwritten agreement. Tis why I put the word "rules" in italics.

I agree with you. Sid will definitely be back to the All-Stars & winning the MVP more than once. I still haven't figured out why Briere won it this year. A goal & 4 assists is great but they didn't win. Apparently I'm narrow minded in my thought that the MVP should come from the winning side. Then again, maybe I'm just irked because a Sabre won it.

I think you should name your blog If I Keep Writing Comments This Long... ;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?