This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Poe-tay-toe. Poe-tah-toe.

I'm not going to focus on the Canes' game last night. Nope. Nosiree. Stupid Coyotes. And why are they named the Coyotes? And is it pronounced Kai-yote or Kai-yo-tee? I've lived in four states & I've heard both versions and have been laughed at incessantly for saying the latter, "Only little kids say kai-yo-tee. hee hee hee." Whatever, Missy. If the person saying that to me hadn't been a good friend, I might have had to smack her.

Instead let's take a gander at other games last night. The Bruins & the Maple Leafs - Holy Crap!! 10-2!! Geez! Poor Bruins. Actually, last night was just a crappy night, hockey wise. The teams I like lost and the teams I despise won. Grrrrrr. And no, I don't despise all the teams that won last just the stars, the devils (sorry TC!) and the crapitals. Admittedly, Ove has elevated the craps in my personal rankings. They're no longer the Most despised team on my list.

Bright note - It's Friday! and it's raining. It's like spring outside.

Sad note - It's like spring outside and it's winter. Oy! Bring on the snow!! The frost! The heavy coats! There's major flooding in the world, drought, blizzards, warm weather when it should be cold and yet there are Still people who doubt that climate change is happening. I bet they even say Coyotes funny... maybe coy-yotes.

Constant note - Cam Ward still rocks my world. Well, not as much as The Edge does, but then, who could?

Labels: , , ,

Comments:
I'd call em the Kai-yo-tees. And if anyone laughs, tell them "Actually, the team name is pronounced Winnipeg Jets."

Also, there is nothing wrong with warming up to the Capitals. Support your local hockey team. Nothing wrong with being a fan of an out-of-state team if that's your team, but that's no reason to be a hater of a team with AO. And that Semin kid. *snicker* But AO is worth the price of admission. And has spiffy yellow laces.

Penguins continued their winning ways and beat the Sabres tonight. Malkin with the go-ahead goal, and Dominic Moore with an insurance empty net goal in the closing seconds. And keep your eye on that Jordan Staal. He might be the more talented Staal brother... ;)

Sheesh. I keep typing long comments like this, I might as well start my own damn blog...
 
Also, you could pronounce it like "COY-yo-tay." That was the name of the baby in Steinbeck's "The Pearl."
 
only southerners say Kai-yote.

or no? which states say it which way that you've lived in?
 
You start a blog, b and I'll start reading it. I have a vision of entries being made up entirely of 2 sentences..... Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;) I was very happy that the Penguins beat the sabres.

c - I've found that it's rural areas & farming areas of states that say Kay-yote. I was laughed at in Kansas for saying Kay-yo-tee. As for southeners they say it both ways but when they say it with three syllables it's most often Kai-yo-tay. Southern drawl and all.

Ohio -> Kai-yo-tee (except for areas near Kentucky..)
KS -> Kai-yote
NC -> Kai-yote, Kai-yo-tay
VA/DC -> Kai-yo-tee, Kai-yote, Kai-yo-tay. I figure this is due to the sheer volume of transplanted peeps.

Funny thing. Not long after publishing this post on Friday I rcvd an email from a friend about this kitten (he's too freaking cute) in her neighborhood. One of her neighbors adopted him (his owners let him roam the neighborhood & rarely left adequate food & water out for him) & his new name? Coyote.
 
^^ i am more confused than before ;)

it's kai-yo-tee in n-y-c....
 
rural areas = 2 syllables
urban areas = 3 syllables

that help? :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?