This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

With A Red Guitar, On Fire

The folks & nephew were in town this past weekend. We did a fair amount of site seeing on Friday and Saturday. Before I continue on , I just want to say that JT is a big fan of squirrels. Namely chasing squirrels. I believe he wants to be a Squirrel Hunter when he grows up.

Due to JT's predilection for laughing & smiling & squealing adorably at the site of squirrels or any critter for that matter - birds, mini-bears (that's chipmunks for those who are confused), dogs, etc. - we tend to go out of our way to point them out to him. Especially if we've been standing around waiting for the line to get inside a museum to move forward. JT doesn't like to stand around, he wants to be on the move. Preferably with Papa (my dad) carting him around. Anyway, as the line slowly advanced we were scanning the ground, trees, rooftop etc. looking valiantly for squirrels to point out to him, keeping him occupied.

"Look JT! There's some squirrels playing tag."
"Oh JT, look over there. See the two squirrels in the tree? Right there." Much pointing and smiling on our part to encourage JT to smile and laugh.

I'm looking around at nothing in particular when there's a big roar from the group of students in front of us. I look at them, they're all looking at the grassy area. I look over and don't see anything. I hear someone say squirrels so I look at JT to see where he's looking since he has the mega squirreldar. He's looking at the students who are making such a huge racket, laughing and cheering and pointing.

I still don't see what the big uproar is about so I ask my dad, "What's the deal? Are there two squirrels fighting or something?"

He goes, "or something..." That's when I look in the trees and see two squirrels mating. I look back at JT who is clapping and laughing with a huge smile on his face.

So yes, I inadvertently gave my nephew one of his first lessons in the birds and the bees. Well it was more squirrels in trees, but it amounts to the same thing. I'm pretty sure he didn't actually see the squirrels and his clapping was because he saw the group of students clapping and laughing. And if he did see the squirrels, surely he's too young at 2.5 to understand what was going on and be scarred by it. Right?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?