This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Monday, October 15, 2007

Oceans, Overfishing and Observations

I nabbed this gorgeous shot of a school of fish from the Democracy In Action webpage about the Marine Fish Conservation Network. I've no idea where they got it from, who took it, where it was taken, etc.

I wish I did. Then I could plan a SCUBA trip there. As it is, I could stare at it for hours. Guess I'll just have to settle for daydreaming about SCUBA-ing in general.

Anyway, today - on Blogger - is Blog Action Day. The topic they chose for participants to blog about is: The Environment. So of course I had to participate. I've assembled a bunch of links about environmentally friendly fish to eat and random ocean stuff.

Pretty odd, I know, since I don't eat fish of any sort. Partly because of allergies, mostly because of environmental issues (the uber fish allergies didn't start kicking in til the last three or four years). I haven't eaten fish/seafood since hmm 1992 or 1993. For those of you who actually eat seafood, check out the Guide to Ocean Friendly Seafood from the Blue Ocean Institute.

The Marine Stewardship Council is a non-profit which promotes responsible fishing practices. They have links on their Consumer site about where to buy sustainable fish and how you can help 'look after' the oceans.

I've taken to scanning some more fishy themed blogs the last little while. First one is Blogfish - Fish, Oceans and Conservation and the other is the Marine Conservation Blog. Perhaps not something all of yall would appreciate, but figured I'd throw the links out there. In case you hadn't noticed them over there in the sidebar.

There's also the Deep Sea News find on the ScienceBlogs website. Which is what it sounds like it is. A website that has links and highlights from a variety of science based blogs. I can usually find something of interest and intrigue on there. Check it out!

And finally, a memorial to my favorite satellite. The Topex/Poseiden satellite was an Earth orbiting satellite monitoring the oceans (well, most of the non ice oceans) from 1992 to October 2005. There's a nifty article celebrating Ten Years of Ocean Observations on NASA's website. Although Topex/Poseiden did last longer in orbit than my Remote Sensing professor in college thought it would.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?