This that and the other thing. Though there might be more of this than that. And little of the other things. Maybe.

Thursday, July 09, 2009

A Letter to Limited Brands

Dear Bath & Body Works,
I have been a loyal customer for many, many years. All soaps, lotions and hand sanitizers I bought have been yours. I've dabbled in your hair care line, your makeup, candles and perfume. I've sung your praises near and far. I am so disappointed in you.

I went to restock my supply of hand sanitizers on Wednesday. I looked around your store while your employees chatted amongst themselves. I found your display of antibacterial soaps and the pocket sized hand sanitizers. Nowhere did I see your 3oz bottles. When I was finally near enough to the counter that the MOD could ask if I needed help without having to leave her position (leaning against the checkout counter), she asked if I needed help finding anything.

I asked for the hand sanitizers. She gestured to the glass urn on the counter. The urn was filled with pocket sized containers. I explained that I wanted the larger size. She gestured toward the unit holding the ones with lotion and the foaming variety. I said no, the gel ones like these (gesture to the urn) but in the larger bottle.

She said that Bath & Body Works is no longer making that size. And then tried to tell me how long the pocket sized ones last. I pointed out the obvious (the larger bottles last longer) and then asked if there were any refill containers. She said no but the pocket sized ones were on sale so I could buy multiples to get the same amount.

I said no, that's such a waste of plastic. I asked why B&BW had stopped making the larger size. She told me about the sale for the lotion & foaming sanitizers. I took that to mean she didn't know..

I wandered around some more and saw that the packaging on (some) of the Wallflowers were touting that they were now recyclable. Or maybe it said that they now contained more recycled material. The one I bought doesn't have that packaging. It's also the last one I'll be buying anytime soon. Sure they smell nice, but they're not $10.00 nice let alone $12.50.

So while you are changing your packaging (supposedly) for the better, you're also forcing customers to buy more items for the same volume. That negates your efforts to be more environmentally friendly. I applaud your (finally) providing refills on your soap pumps but I deplore your lack of refills for hand sanitizers.

I don't foresee myself purchasing anything in Bath & Body Works anytime in the near future. This last experience has left a sour impression that I have no desire to repeat. Ever.

Sincerely,
U2Lorax
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?